How it Works?
Contact one of our team members and we will guide you through the process
Confirm interest by giving the necessary KYC details and exchanging offer note
Confirm the trade by making necessary transactions and the shares would be traded within 24 hours
- Fix up rate and quantity
- Give the offer note and necessary Bank and KYC documents
- Confirm the trade by making the transaction for the purchase of shares
- Receive the shares in your DEMAT within 24 hours
- Fix up rate and quantity
- Accept the offer note and give necessary Bank and KYC documents
- Confirm the trades by transferring the shares from DEMAT
- Receive the funds within 24 hours
What are unlisted shares?
Equity shares of a company that are not yet listed on the Stock Exchanges like BSE, NSE, MSEI, etc. are called unlisted equity shares.
Who sells private shares?
Existing stakeholders, promoters or employees who have equity shares of an unlisted company and early investors who wish to get value of their investment. We create a platform for people to sell their ESOP shares to us at attractive valuations, creating liquidity for companies.
Are the shares of private companies in DEMAT form?
Yes most shares are transferable through the DEMAT process. Some private companies might be transferred through physical mode as well.
What are pre-IPO shares?
Pre-IPO shares are of companies who are up for an Initial Public Offering, making them a listed company on a Stock Exchange. An IPO event is recognised as unlocking true value out of a company’s share as it is available for every one to buy and sell on an exchange.
What are the pros of Investing in Unlisted Shares?
- Reasonable Valuations Unlisted/Pre IPO trade a certain discount to their listed comparables and thus generate superior returns
- Preferred Access Invest with VCs and Private Equity Funds in companies which are not otherwise available to retail investors
- Diversification Get access to sectors/geographies which are not currently present in the listed markets (Eg. Startup space, Gaming Industry, IPL via CSK etc)
What is the process of buying and selling unlisted shares?
To know more about the process of how investments in unlisted shares work (click on link)
What are the type of risks associated with an investment in unlisted shares?
- Liquidity RiskSince the shares are not traded on an exchange, they are subject to liquidity risk.
- Niche MarketThe market for unlisted shares is relatively smaller than the one on a stock exchange.
What is the lock in period for any investment in unlisted shares?
The minimum lock in period applicable after purchase of unlisted shares is 6 months.
What is the safety regarding the payment?
- Altius is the market leader in the unlisted space and has been covered in leading publications (Click on link) (ET, Financial Express, Forbes etc).
- We are the preferred partners for Reliance Securities, Karvy, Edelweiss and have worked with most other leading wealth management firms in the past.
- We also provide an option of escrow services to our clients and have ICICI and HDFC Bank stand as our guarantors of executions.
What is the exit timeframe for any investment in unlisted shares?
The time frame varies from company to company and in what stage of business the company is in. 2-5 years is considered an average timeframe for investments in unlisted shares. If the company does not come up for an IPO, the investor can sell the shares in the active grey market. We actively provide a two way quote in most of the stocks we deal in.
What are our previous investments?
We have been active in unlisted space for the last 20 years. You can click here for a detailed table on our past investments and exits.
What are the tax implications of investing in unlisted shares?
Unlisted Stock is not listed on any recognised stock exchange. Thus, the Company does not pay STT i.e. Securities Transaction Tax on such shares. The period of holding is 24 months.
Income Tax on Trading (Click on link) in unlisted shares is similar to the tax treatment of other capital assets (Click on link). The following are the income tax rates on the sale of unlisted shares of a Domestic Company or Foreign Company.
- Long Term Capital Gain – 20% with Indexation
- Short Term Capital Gain – taxed as per slab rates
- In the case of a Non-Resident, LTCG on Unlisted Stock is 10% without Indexation.
What is the minimum amount one can invest in a Pre-IPO?
Depending on the stock,the minimum amount can be between Rs.20,000-Rs.50,000
Is Altius Investech a registered investment advisor?
We are not a registered Investment Advisor and we do not recommend to buy/hold/sell any shares. Please consult your financial advisor before investing.